Temporary Aquarium Biologist Needed
Integrated Statistics is looking for a Temporary Aquarium Biologist to provide support services to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Northeast Fisheries Science Center Science Aquarium, in Woods Hole, MA. The Science Aquarium is open to the public and displays marine animals typically found in Northeast and Middle Atlantic waters. The job is currently expected to last until September 30, 2017, with some possibility of extension.
The duties of the position include:
• Maintaining the display tanks, with tasks including but not limited to cleaning, repairing, and monitoring.
• Preparing, storing, and inventorying animal food.
• Assisting with regular care, handling and feeding of exhibit animals such as harbor seals and sea turtles.
• Conducting training sessions for the marine mammals, if experienced in this area.
• Performing other husbandry tasks such as health and medical evaluations, treatments, and recordkeeping.
• Assisting with the operation and maintenance of tanks, pools, raceways, aquaria and other enclosures, and the related water treatment operations for recirculating, semi-closed and flow-through systems.
• Communicating effectively with visitors and callers while maintaining professionalism in demeanor, decorum, and personal appearance.
• Providing support to public education efforts, including assisting with special programs and collecting walks (escorting visitors to nearby marshes to experience the wetland, learn about its processes, and to view, handle, and collect marine life for use in the aquarium).
• Operating a government vehicle in the process of carrying out duties.
• Working in a busy environment, during both public and nonpublic operating hours, and contributing to a positive experience for visitors.
• Bachelor’s degree in Biology or a closely related field, with a focus on Marine Biology preferred.
• Work experience in Aquarium and/or animal husbandry environment is highly desirable, such as experience in the collection and display of marine organisms in marine aquaria, the establishment and maintenance of aquarium habitats for marine life, working knowledge of life support systems and ability to rectify issues, maintenance and plumbing of marine aquaria, etc.
• Ability to interact positively with coworkers and to engage effectively with the public.
The rate of pay is $21/hr. The position is full time, and eligible for the benefits described on the Integrated Statistics website. Expected working hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 5:00pm with a rotating weekend on every third Saturday and Sunday.
Integrated Statistics is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Consistent with its obligations under federal law, Integrated Statistics is committed to taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, disabled individuals, special disabled veterans, veterans of the Vietnam era, and other eligible veterans. For assistance with accessibility of applications, posters, forms, and/or documents, please email the Integrated Statistics office.