Dockside Monitor/Biological Sampler - Part Time Needed
Integrated Statistics is looking for a biologist to perform Dockside Monitoring and Biological Sampling in support of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) Northeast Fisheries Science Center (NEFSC). The position is part-time, focused in the Newburyport/Gloucester MA area.
Duties will include:
The successful candidate will possess:
- Developing independent estimates of landing weights by market category for 9 allocated groundfish species.
- Collecting length frequency information for allocated groundfish species by market category.
- Performing hold inspections to verify all catch has been landed.
The Dockside Monitor/Biological Sampler is assigned to a single vessel
that fishes 5 to 6 days per week, weather permitting. The work is expected to take
4-5 hours per day, to be performed in the
afternoon beginning at approximately 2pm. Therefore the expectation is
for between 20 and 30 hours of work per week.
- A Bachelor's degree in Biology, Environmental Science, or an associated discipline.
- Familiarity with and ability to identify New England groundfish species is required.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Experience in New England fisheries (observing, port sampling, surveys) is strongly preferred.
The rate of pay is $18-20/hr, and the position is expected to last to August 2018, with some expectation of continued funding.
Integrated Statistics is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Consistent with its obligations under federal law, Integrated Statistics is committed to taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, disabled individuals, special disabled veterans, veterans of the Vietnam era, and other eligible veterans. For assistance with accessibility of applications, posters, forms, and/or documents, please email the Integrated Statistics office.