Integrated Statistics is looking for a Deckhand to work in support of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) Northeast Fisheries Science Center (NEFSC) located in Milford, CT. The Deckhand serves aboard a 51-foot research vessel.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Serving as deckhand aboard a 51-foot research vessel operating during a variety of weather and sea conditions.
- Operating and maintaining small boats for field work and dive operations.
- Assisting with the maintenance of the vessel’s systems, including but not limited to cleaning, chipping, painting, plumbing, carpentry, and oil changes.
- Handling and manipulation (deployment and recovery) of oyster cages, and other equipment on the back-deck of the vessel.
- Operating deck machinery, such as the windlass or winches, while alongside the pier or underway.
- Using and maintaining emergency, lifesaving, damage control, and safety equipment.
- Ability to do physical work in outdoor, indoor, and semi-enclosed spaces.
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills.
- Must be able to bend, kneel, squat, climb, stand, reach, drive, and use fine and repetitive motor skills.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
- Valid USCG Merchant Mariner Credentials (AB license).
- Basic knowledge of how to maintain, repair, and improve boat’s essential system.
- General understanding of OSHA regulations.
The position is full-time, with an expected duration of 4-6 months. Sailing days will be normally 8 hour workdays, however some days could extend up to 12 hrs. The rate of pay is $21-22/hr. The position is eligible for the benefits described on the Integrated Statistics website.
- Knowledge of basic field research principles and experimental design.
- 50 gross tons USCG Master license.
Integrated Statistics is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Consistent with its obligations under federal law, Integrated Statistics is committed to taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, disabled individuals, special disabled veterans, veterans of the Vietnam era, and other eligible veterans. For assistance with accessibility of applications, posters, forms, and/or documents, please email the Integrated Statistics office.