Mobile Application Programmer Needed
Integrated Statistics is looking for a mobile app programmer to work in support of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS).
The programmer will work on software for the Northeast Fisheries
Science Center (NEFSC), Fisheries Sampling Branch (FSB). FSB collects
fishery data, and trains and monitors
the performance of fisheries observers while sampling onboard commercial
fishing vessels from Maine to North Carolina, USA. The data that the
observers collect is tracked, edited, audited and uploaded to a
master database by FSB staff. Data are provided to a variety of
end-users and stakeholders for use in fisheries management decision
The programmer will design, develop, and implement new native mobile applications to support observers and samplers. The programmer will also modify and enhance existing applications, which require frequent updates in response to regulatory and monitoring protocol changes. The applications will incorporate integrated and external data communications such as GPS, Bluetooth, and WiFi. Flexible and extensible architecture is a priority. The FSB applications store and use data from Oracle and SQLite databases.
The programmer must possess:
The position is full-time for one year. The Mobile Application Programmer should be prepared to work on-site in Falmouth, MA. The rate of pay is commensurate with experience, and the position is eligible for the benefits described on the Integrated Statistics website.
- A portfolio of mobile applications (preferably Android).
- A minimum of five (5) years of formal software development experience.
- Experience in API design, SDK architecture, and mobile software lifecycle development practices with a solid knowledge of threading and event driven programming, networking, offline storage and performance tuning.
- Advanced experience with the design, development and maintenance of native Android mobile applications, libraries and services.
- Advanced experience in Java and/or Kotlin development, coding and debugging skills.
- Advanced experience with the Android SDK with Material Design.
- An in-depth understanding of the complex interaction between the realities of mobile software application platforms and the goals and objectives of modern-era design guidelines.
- The ability to integrate web services such as REST and JSON.
- Experience with modern interface design architectures, such as MVC and MVVM.
- Experience with mobile database design with SQLite and ORM.
- Experience with advanced Java engineering techniques such as the use of dependency injection.
- Ability to participate in application development through integrated project work group meetings, data modeling, code reviews, and system reviews for quality and performance.
- Ability to become involved in all aspects of the software development cycle and demonstrate abilities to learn both the data collection processes as well as new and existing technologies.
- Ability to work as part of a team to define and refine user requirements.
- Ability to understand, implement, and integrate security standards set by the NOAA/NMFS/ Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCIO) and implemented by NEFSC's Data Management Systems Division.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Integrated Statistics is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Consistent with its obligations under federal law, Integrated Statistics is committed to taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, disabled individuals, special disabled veterans, veterans of the Vietnam era, and other eligible veterans. For assistance with accessibility of applications, posters, forms, and/or documents, please email the Integrated Statistics office.