Fisheries Video Reviewer - Electronic Monitoring Needed
Integrated Statistics is looking for an Electronic Monitoring Video Reviewer to support the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) Northeast Fisheries Science Center Science (NEFSC). The video reviewer will be involved in the use and development of Electronic Monitoring (EM), which is an emerging monitoring tool that is being explored in a number of fisheries. EM uses equipment such as video cameras to capture information on fishing location and catch
The EM Video Reviewer works under the direction of the EM Lead. The tasks include:
- Reviewing video footage and creating a notation of each fishing episode. The notation identifies marine species, and documents species type and length, discard disposition, and any anomalous events.
- Engaging in required actions required to ensure the quality control of collected video footage and annotated data.
- Working with and assisting EM service providers with EM program logistics and issues, including assisting with:
- Pre-planning meetings
- The installation, testing, initialization, and removal of all EM system equipment on fishing vessels
- Active data collection and analysis
- Training FSB staff to audit video data
- Inventory of video data
- Evaluation of sensor data to assess quality and completeness of data sets
- Estimation of total fishing effort and catch
- Comparison of participating vessels to determine compatibility of the video equipment for study purposes
- Comparison of Electronic Monitoring and observer data.
- Providing feedback to FSB staff regarding the application of Electronic Monitoring systems for documenting bycatch.
- Assisting in determining the adequacy of collected video data for use by NOAA Fisheries.
- Attending and assisting with Electronic Monitoring organizational meetings for industry participants, when needed.
- Documenting incidental take interactions on collected video footage.
- Keeping the EM Lead, Data Quality Team, and Branch Chief informed of important and controversial data, data quality and compliance issues, and of substandard data.
- Occasionally attending Take Reduction Team, Fisheries Management Council and other industry-related meetings on behalf of the FSB, when needed.
- Occasionally assisting with outreach events to promote the FSB program activities and Electronic Monitoring.
- Assisting in maintaining open communication with industry participants in the field and offer support when needed (i.e. contact information, review of data collection techniques, picking up samples, etc.).
- Performing observer duties at sea (minimum of 5 trips per year) to become familiar with protocols, data collection, observer responsibilities and issues observers encounter while working as a government representative in a field setting.
- Some travel is required, for attending meetings on behalf of the FSB, attending outreach events and deploying on or servicing commercial fishing vessels.
The EM Video Reviewer must possess:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Marine Biology, Fisheries, or a related field. Biological research experience at the collegiate or professional level is desired.
- Familiarity with database queries and research to assist with the analysis and dissemination of data.
- Excellent project communication skills, experience with databases, and familiarity with northeast fish identification, regional fisheries, and related fishing gear types and operations.
- Proficiency in identifying common northeast fish species.
- Experience in fisheries science, fisheries management, and a general knowledge of marine mammal identification and sampling procedures and analytical techniques.
- Familiarity with FSB at-sea monitoring editing processes and protocols for all observed fisheries.
- Ability to pick up new software and processes as needed.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Previous experience as a fisheries observer is highly desirable.
- Ability to work well with fishing community members and prior knowledge of commercial groundfish practices and operations is preferred.
- Prior experience with FSB data collection and editing protocols, UNIX based computers, networked systems, ORACLE relational databases, SAS or other statistical software and ARCVIEW is preferred.
The position is full-time with an expected duration of one year. The Fisheries Video Reviewer should be prepared to work on-site in Falmouth, MA. The rate of pay is commensurate with experience, and the position is eligible for the benefits described on the Integrated Statistics website.
Integrated Statistics is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Consistent with its obligations under federal law, Integrated Statistics is committed to taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, disabled individuals, special disabled veterans, veterans of the Vietnam era, and other eligible veterans. For assistance with accessibility of applications, posters, forms, and/or documents, please email the Integrated Statistics office.