IT Specialist - Helpdesk Needed
Integrated Statistics is looking for an Information Technology
Specialist to work with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric
Administration (NOAA) National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) Northeast
Fisheries Science Center (NEFSC) in Woods Hole, MA. The work requires physical presence in Woods Hole, because the work is on-site.
The IT Specialist will be responsible for user support, systems, and network operations.
user request for support, and working cooperatively with NOAA IT staff
to recommend and/or coordinate implementation of solutions.
- Diagnosing and resolving user IT problems in response to customer reported incidents.
- Setup, configuration, troubleshooting, and maintenance of NEFSC hardware and software, specifically Windows and Linux PCs.
- Assisting users with equipment operation and maintenance.
- Providing instructional information in the use of PCs and associated operating systems.
- Implementing and integrating NOAA security standards, including security procedures and tools.
- Ensuring consistent and sustained systems availability, functionality, integrity, and efficiency.
- Maintaining and documenting systems configuration.
- Managing the installation and integration of systems fixes, updates, and enhancements.
- Configuring, testing, installing, and maintaining Voice over IP (VOIP) telephones.
- Configuring, installing, testing, maintaining, and upgrading network operating systems and application software.
- Managing network accounts and access rights and privileges to systems and equipment.
- Resolving hardware/software interface and interoperability problems.
- Configuring network servers, routers, and switches in accordance with a configuration management plan.
- Monitoring network capacity and performance.
- Diagnosing and resolving network problems.
The successful candidate will possess at least three years of work experience in the categories listed below.
Operating system knowledge and experience:
- Advanced knowledge of and experience using and administering Windows 7 and 10.
- Advanced knowledge of Windows Active Directory (AD) and configuration/implementation of Windows Group Policy Objects (GPO).
- Knowledge of a Linux operating system.
- Knowledge of Voice over IP (VOIP) technology.
Networking knowledge and experience:
- Working with local area networks, their components, tools and procedures.
with firewalls, routers, switches, wireless, Virtual Private Networks
(VPN), Domain Name Systems (DNS), and Dynamic Host Configuration
- Securing local networks and their components to prevent unauthorized access, misuse, and/or modification.
and implementing network configuration management plans, to create
standards, to track network changes, and provide up-to-date network
- Evaluating and recommending network hardware and software.
- Installing and configuring network hardware, and applying network software fixes and upgrades.
- Experience and ability to diagnose and resolve problems in response to customer reported incidents.
- Knowledge and experience in testing and analyzing computer equipment malfunctions and software errors.
network traffic patterns, monitoring performance, and performing
diagnostics to troubleshoot network problems (e.g., outages).
- Excellent ability to communicate with team members and end-users, both in written documentation and in oral presentations.
- Ability to work cooperatively with and to collaborate on a network and/or development team.
- Ability to pass security background check.
Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field.
Equivalent work experience could potentially be substituted.
position is full-time, with an expected duration of one year. The rate
of pay is commensurate with experience, and the position is eligible for
the benefits described on the Integrated Statistics website.
Statistics is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate
against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color,
disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, gender identity,
sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by
federal, state, or local law. Consistent with its obligations under
federal law, Integrated Statistics is committed to taking affirmative
action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities,
disabled individuals, special disabled veterans, veterans of the Vietnam
era, and other eligible veterans. For assistance with accessibility of
applications, posters, forms, and/or documents, please email the
Integrated Statistics office.