Database Architect Needed
Integrated Statistics is looking for a Database Architect to work in
support of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) Northeast Fisheries Science
Center (NEFSC). The Northeast Fisheries Science Center (NEFSC) is the
research arm of NMFS in the region, planning, developing, and managing a
multidisciplinary program of basic and applied research to better
understand living marine resources of the Northeast Continental Shelf
Ecosystem from the Gulf of Maine to Cape Hatteras, and the habitat
quality essential for their existence and continued productivity, and to
describe and provide to management, industry, and the public, options
for the conservation and utilization of living marine resources, and for
the restoration and maintenance of marine environmental quality. This
person will work on-site in one of these locations: Orono ME, Woods Hole
MA, Narragansett RI, Milford CT, or Sandy Hook NJ.
Data Architect will assist the Data Management Systems (DMS) division,
which provides IT support services to the Science Center. The Database
Architect will work closely and cooperatively with federal system
programmers and application developers to develop and analyze program
requirements, and prepare documentation and specifications.
The Database Architect will be responsible for:
- Database architecture, design, and modeling.
- Maintaining and extending database capabilities to meet business users needs and NMFS standards and best practices.
- Data Modeling for project specific generation of database and application design documentation.
- Documenting logical and physical data models and associated entity relationship diagrams.
QualificationsThe Database Architect must:
- Demonstrate proficiency and extensive knowledge of Oracle database systems.
demonstrated, strong programming and development skills using PL/SQL
(package, procedures, functions, triggers) and batch coding skills.
experience in code migration, database change management, and data
management in multiple environments and different stages of the
development life cycle.
- Possess the ability to handle multiple projects and deadlines with flexibility between tasks.
- Be capable of working as part of a team to define and refine user requirements.
- Have a track record of ensuring performance, security, integrity, and availability of databases.
able to support application development through integrated project work
group meetings, data modeling, code reviews, and system reviews for
quality and performance.
- Demonstrate ability to work with
management and developers in providing quick resolutions during critical
production issues with performance related resolutions.
expert level knowledge and experience in data modeling and database
design across all phases of data modeling, from conceptualization to
- Provides database support by coding utilities, responding to user questions, and resolving problems.
- Emphasize methodology, modeling, and governance while being technologically and politically neutral.
proficient in logical and physical modeling using tools such as
SQLDeveloper Data Modeler, ERWin, or other data system modeling.
- Possess a thorough understanding of data normalization.
- Demonstrate proficient in Agile/Scrum methodology, and be familiar with project management software (e.g.,JIRA by Atlassian).
- Be able to analyze database performance and positively affect systems via indexing and other methods.
- Have experience in configuration and deployment of development, test and production environments.
- Be proficient in designing and implementing data access security via roles or other methods.
able to implement and integrate data security standards set by the
NOAA/NMFS/Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCIO) and implemented
by NEFSC’s DMS Division.
- Possess advanced experience in mapping
the systems and interfaces used to manage data, set standards for data
management, analyze current state and conceives desired future state,
and conceive projects needed to close the gap between current state and
- Have a track record of implementing the system
development life cycle; software project management approaches; and
requirements, design, and test techniques.
- Demonstrate advanced
knowledge and skills necessary to develop and adhere to database
standards in design and implementation, and to conceptualize and
influence application and interface projects.
- Be able to analyze database performance and positively affect systems via indexing and other tuning methods.
position is full-time, and the rate of pay is commensurate with
experience and qualifications. The position is eligible for the benefits
described on the Integrated Statistics website. The Database Architect
is expected to work on-site in Woods Hole, MA.
Statistics is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate
against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color,
disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, gender identity,
sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by
federal, state, or local law. Consistent with its obligations under
federal law, Integrated Statistics is committed to taking affirmative
action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities,
disabled individuals, special disabled veterans, veterans of the Vietnam
era, and other eligible veterans. For assistance with accessibility of
applications, posters, forms, and/or documents, please email the
Integrated Statistics office.