Analyst/Operations Lead - PTNS Needed
Integrated Statistics is looking for an Analyst to work as the Pre-Trip
Notification System Operations Lead. This person will work with National
Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) National Marine Fisheries
Service (NMFS) Fisheries Sampling Branch (FSB) Northeast Fisheries
Observer Program (NEFOP), At-Sea Monitoring Program (ASM), and Industry
Funded Scallop Program (IFS).
FSB provides observer coverage,
through NEFOP, ASM, and IFS, for several Northeast and Mid-Atlantic
federal and state fisheries. The FSB trains and monitors the performance
of fisheries observers while sampling onboard commercial fishing
vessels from Maine to North Carolina, USA. The data that is collected
by observers is tracked, edited, audited and uploaded to a master
database by FSB staff. Data are provided to a variety of end-users and
stakeholders for use in fisheries management decision making. The
fisheries coverage is split between the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic
To select trips across multiple fisheries and sampling
frames, FSB utilizes a web-based tool, the Pre-Trip Notification System
(PTNS). The PTNS is a dynamic, flexible and evolving system used by many
user groups such as NOAA staff, industry, vessel owners/operators and
observer service provider companies. PTNS interacts with several other
database systems, requires constant maintenance and monitoring, and must
be publically available 7 days a week, 24 hours a day.
PTNS Operational Lead works closely and cooperatively with the FSB,
PTNS Technical Team, and other staff to provide oversight, management,
and monitoring of the PTNS system. Specific duties include:
as FSB’s PTNS expert in the planning, design, and implementation of new
pre-notification requirements of commercial fisheries.
- Monitoring achieved monitoring coverage accomplishments and ensuring system adjustments as needed.
- Communicating with FSB Fishery Leads and other contracted staff on system performance, analytics, and operations.
- Overseeing and prioritizing system maintenance of the PTNS.
- Serving as primary FSB contact in troubleshooting system challenges.
- Overseeing system operators/users, prioritizing workload, and tracking improvements/update needs.
- Working with an after-hours answering service provider and functioning as Emergency After-hours Contact.
- Coordinating system testing as needed when new features are being developed.
- Developing and performing analytics as needed to monitor system performance.
- Providing regular status reports to FSB and PTNS project teams and NEFSC leadership.
- Creating and maintaining comprehensive project documentation and communication plans.
- Working with management and developers during critical production issues to provide performance related resolutions.
public outreach as needed. Participating in outreach activities to hear
from users for consideration of improvements by the PTNS Technical Team
and help respond to questions.
degree in a quantitative environmental science discipline (e.g.,
fisheries science, oceanography, wildlife biology, natural resource
- Demonstrated experience in the application of statistical theory, including sampling design.
- Demonstrated experience in using statistical programming languages such as R, SAS, MatLab, etc.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
programming experience with interacting with and extracting data from
large relational databases (Oracle, MySQL, MS Access, etc.).
- Familiarity with fisheries science, management and monitoring concepts and implementation.
position is full-time, and is
eligible for the benefits described on the Integrated Statistics
website. The rate of pay will be approximately $35-40/hr, depending on experience and qualifications.
experience in successfully leading a team of professionals, providing
strong leadership, direction, organization, guidance, decision making
and conflict resolution.
- Experience using and developing electronic information systems.
management experience, including the development of ability to
coordinate and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously, develop and
refine user requirements, monitor project progress, and deliver projects
on time and within scope.
- Demonstrated experience with project management tools such as Agile, JIRA, etc.
- Demonstrated experience utilizing or designing complex analytics/information systems.
experience with Oracle relational databases and ensuring the
performance, security, integrity and operability of databases.
Integrated Statistics is an equal opportunity employer
and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis
of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion,
gender identity, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any
classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Consistent
with its obligations under federal law, Integrated Statistics is
committed to taking affirmative action to employ and advance in
employment qualified women, minorities, disabled individuals, special
disabled veterans, veterans of the Vietnam era, and other eligible
veterans. For assistance with accessibility of applications, posters,
forms, and/or documents, please email the Integrated Statistics office.