Part Time Lab Assistant Needed
Integrated Statistics is looking for a Part Time Lab Assistant to work with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) Northeast Fisheries Science Center in Woods Hole, Massachusetts. The Lab Assistant will work in support of the Protected Species Branch.
The main responsibilities of the position include:
collection of biological samples: ensuring that the collection of
samples remains consistent with permit requirements; keeping track of
what is coming in and what is going out; recording all changes in a
tissue tracking database; preparing samples for laboratory for analysis
(may include subsampling, precision measurements of very small
samples, and shipping preparation).
samples within an ultracold freezer; includes managing access to the
freezer; being a point of contact for freezer issues; performing
preventive maintenance; and maintaining a detailed database of samples.
- Preparing for field work and de-stage afterwards: inventorying field supplies and ensuring enough supplies are available to support upcoming field work; modifying datasheets to capture pertinent information for each field sampling occasion; preparing field sampling kits so that cruises will have all necessary equipment and supplies; maintaining supplies and equipment in a shared workspace; after field work is complete, cleaning and storing equipment; scanning and filing datasheets; entering data into database; logging and appropriately storing samples.
- Writing reports: summarizing data, documenting ESA take information; organizing literature; contributing to and coordinate the completion of cruise reports; supporting webpage improvement; supporting database management needs.
- Image and video library duties, using a system for tracking and easily retrieving thousands of images and video files. Includes downloading, sorting, and storing files after fieldwork.
- Filing, scanning, checking deployment and retrieval sheets for acoustic
recorders. Entering information into Oracle database.
The Lab Assistant should possess:
The position is part-time. The rate of pay will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- A Bachelor's degree in one of the biological sciences.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to self-motivate, pay attention to detail,
and become a positive part of the Sea
Turtle Ecology Team.
- Experience with data management, analytical reporting, and environmental and biological data is strongly preferred.
- Eagerness to learn and to adapt to the dynamic demands of an active research
Integrated Statistics is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Consistent with its obligations under federal law, Integrated Statistics is committed to taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, disabled individuals, special disabled veterans, veterans of the Vietnam era, and other eligible veterans. For assistance with accessibility of applications, posters, forms, and/or documents, please email the Integrated Statistics office.