Dockside Fisheries Monitoring Technician Needed
Integrated Statistics is looking for a biologist to perform Dockside Monitoring and Biological Sampling in support of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) Northeast Fisheries Science Center (NEFSC). The position is located at the NOAA NMFS Greater Atlantic Regional Office (GARFO) in Gloucester MA. The sampling takes place in Portland ME, Newburyport MA, and Gloucester MA.
- Communicating/coordinating directly with assigned vessels/dealers.
- Identifying, sorting and weighing of allocated groundfish species.
- Independently confirming landing weights of all catch by market category.
- Collecting length frequency information for allocated groundfish.
- Performing fish hold observations to verify all catch has been landed.
- Traveling from offload points to processing plants in order to perform DSM duties.
- Providing summary level offload data on a per offload basis.
- Entry of DSM data in spreadsheets and oracle database.
- Quality control/review of data collected and entered by other DSMs.
- Data organization, archiving and analysis in support of program reporting.
- Assist Program Manager with logistics related to other DSMs and port activities.
The successful candidate will possess:
The rate of pay is $25/hr. The position is eligible for the benefits described on the Integrated Statistics website.
- A Bachelor's degree in Biology, Environmental Science, or an associated discipline.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- Familiarity with and ability to immediately identify New England groundfish species.
- Excellent communication skills.
- State-issued driver’s license in good standing.
- Dependable personal transportation.
- Ability to lift 60 lbs and work in harsh environments.
- Experience in New England fisheries monitoring (observing, port sampling, surveys) is strongly preferred.
Integrated Statistics is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Consistent with its obligations under federal law, Integrated Statistics is committed to taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, disabled individuals, special disabled veterans, veterans of the Vietnam era, and other eligible veterans. For assistance with accessibility of applications, posters, forms, and/or documents, please email the Integrated Statistics office.