Fisheries Data Debriefer Needed
Integrated Statistics, Inc. is looking for a Data Debriefer to
work with the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS), Northeast
Fisheries Science Center (NEFSC). The NEFSC is required to collect
scientific, management, regulatory compliance and economic data for
fisheries by placing NMFS-certified observers aboard U.S. domestic
fishing vessels. These data are needed for the management of fisheries
occurring in the U.S. Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) and the high seas
beyond the EEZ. These data are collected through a program of sea
sampling most often referred to as the Northeast Fisheries Observer
Program (NEFOP), or Observer Program.
The Data Debriefer's responsibilities include these tasks:
- Review/edit electronic data uploads and raw data logs for
completeness and accuracy.
- Contact observers to verify inconsistencies and solve data
recording problems as needed.
- Maintain records on individual observer performance to be
used in assessing overall data quality and schedules observer debriefings as
- Complete evaluations of each observer’s work performance on
a per trip basis.Submit weekly reports on editing progress to Lead Data Debriefer.
- Keep the Lead Data Debriefer and Data Managers informed of
important and serious data recording issues.
- Assist with routine audits and checks on trip data prior to
the trip being loaded to the observer database.
- Assist with preparations for Observer Trainings including
observer exercises, homework assignments, workshops, quizzes, exams and
presentations as needed.
- Deploy aboard commercial fishing vessels (single day and
multi-day trips) to become familiar with observer duties at sea as needed.
The successful candidate must have:
This position is full-time, with the benefits described on
the Integrated Statistics website. The rate of pay is approximately
- A demonstrated interest in fishery science and management.
- A general knowledge of analytical techniques.
- Ability to communicate well in both the office and field
- Previous or current NEFOP observer experience is highly desirable.
- Proficiency in GIS, website development, SAS, other
statistical packages, Oracle or other relational database management systems
and SQL programming language are preferred.
- Biological research experience at the college or
professional level is desired.
- Experience with UNIX based computers and networked systems
- Proficiency in Microsoft
Windows office suite (Excel, Word, Access, PowerPoint) is desired.
Statistics is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate
against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color,
disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation,
veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or
local law. Consistent with its obligations under federal law, Integrated
Statistics is committed to taking affirmative action to employ and
advance in employment qualified women, minorities, disabled individuals,
special disabled veterans, veterans of the Vietnam era, and other
eligible veterans. For assistance with accessibility of applications,
posters, forms, and/or documents, please email the Integrated Statistics