Technical Writer Needed
Integrated Statistics is looking for a Technical Writer to assist the NOAA NMFS Northeast Fisheries Science Center (NEFSC) and Greater Atlantic Region Fisheries Office (GARFO).
Currently, NEFSC and GARFO have two parallel systems for catch monitoring and accounting, with the GARFO-led system focusing on quota monitoring and the NEFSC-led system supporting stock assessments and other research activities. The two systems each integrate data across a wide array of fishery information systems, and each approaches that integration slightly differently. Both systems require significant maintenance and upgrading as regulations and data streams change frequently. The Catch Accounting and Monitoring System (CAMS) implementation team is creating a single comprehensive database for all federal Northeast US fisheries catch.
The Technical Writer will assist with the documentation of this effort, applying best business practice technical documentation insights to document these programs in a complete, useful, understandable and
easily accessible manner. The deliverable is a standardized, deployed suite of user guides, business rules, and procedural documents that accord with agency data documentation directives.
The task includes specific duties that lead to high quality documentation of CAMS standard operating procedures:
- Work with the CAMS project team to obtain an in-depth understanding of the product and documentation requirements.
- Work closely with CAMS project team to document software and data management and manipulation procedures.
- Write easy to understand user interface text, online help and developer guides.
- Compile standard operating procedures into an end user manual for internal staff.
- Create outreach materials for use in summarizing the project to internal and external stakeholders.
- Develop work instructions and/or standard operating procedures (SOP) for all required processes following the supplied guidelines. The work instructions will describe how the processes interact, and will become the baseline implementation documents of the applicable program.
- To ensure compliance with regulations, quality and performance standards, the Technical Writer shall compile and standardize all quality assurance/auditing documents in use throughout the organization.
- Review, revise, and edit documents prepared by others.
- Provide writing, editing, and design support to other team members.
- Ensure that manual design facilitates frequent maintenance as information and procedures change. Appropriate guidelines and templates will be provided, and staff will be identified to provide the required information.
- Other duties may be assigned.
The Technical Writer should possess:
- A Bachelor's degree in a technical field or in technical writing.
- Formal training in technical writing for software development.
- Five years of work experience as a technical writer.
- Knowledge of relational database architecture and function is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of fisheries in the federal fisheries regulatory environment is desirable.
- Ability to abstract information from technical specifications, documents, and systems.
- Demonstrated success in preparing technical documentation.
- Ability to manage time and meet deadlines, and to work independently while making a contribution to the team.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. A writing sample is required.
The position is expected to last one year. The position may be located in Gloucester, MA or Woods Hole, MA. The position may begin with a period of remote work, to accommodate pandemic restrictions. The position is eligible for the benefits described on the Integrated Statistics website.
Integrated Statistics is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Consistent with its obligations under federal law, Integrated Statistics is committed to taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, disabled individuals, special disabled veterans, veterans of the Vietnam era, and other eligible veterans. For assistance with accessibility of applications, posters, forms, and/or documents, please email the Integrated Statistics office.