Integrated Statistics is seeking several Acousticians to support the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) Northeast Fisheries Science Center (NEFSC). The Acousticians will support the Protected Species Branch's Passive Acoustic Group, working on projects focused on
anthropogenic noise, marine mammals, and fishes. The projects
typically involve running acoustic detectors and analyzing data as
well as graphic generation and writing up components of the
project. Opportunities to participate in fieldwork are possible.
The Acousticians participate in one or more of these tasks:
- Analyze bottom-mounted and mobile passive acoustic data to
assess the distribution, occurrence, and habitat use of
cetacean species along the US eastern seaboard using a
combination of manual and automated detectors.
- Analyze passive acoustic data to describe marine
soundscapes, including biological, geological and
- Analyze passive acoustic data to describe the occurrence and
distribution of fishes.
- Analyze passive acoustic data to describe the occurrence,
distribution and relative source levels of vessels.
- Assist with field collection of passive acoustic data as
- Assist in maintenance of a passive acoustic literature
database in Endnote.
- Assist with PSB Passive Acoustic Group webpage content and
- Assist in synthesizing and where applicable present results
at relevant venues.
- Assist with education and outreach activities conducted by
the Passive Acoustic Group.
The Acoustician should possess:
- Undergraduate degree in marine biology or a related biological science. A Master's degree in a relevant field is a bonus.
- Some experience in analyzing
acoustic data. Prior experience with Raven Pro software is a bonus.
- Able to participate in fieldwork.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a large group and
- Basic understanding and prior experience with programming and data management is a bonus.
The positions will be full-time for one year, with the possibility of extension. They are eligible for the benefits described on the Integrated Statistics website.
Integrated Statistics is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Consistent with its obligations under federal law, Integrated Statistics is committed to taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, disabled individuals, special disabled veterans, veterans of the Vietnam era, and other eligible veterans. For assistance with accessibility of applications, posters, forms, and/or documents, please email the Integrated Statistics office.