Avian Influenza Coordinator Needed
Integrated Statistics is looking for an Avian Influenza Coordinator to work with US Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) in Alaska (Region 7). This position is seasonal and will end October 31, 2023.
The Avian Influenza Coordinator will serve as the regional point of contact for internal and external inquiries, and primary communicator of information regarding avian influenza and sick or dead birds found across Alaska.
The Coordinator will be responsible for these tasks:
Qualifications and Skills
- Leading USFWS inreach/outreach and communication strategy, and working with External Affairs and Migratory Bird Management teams.
- Participating on the interagency Alaska avian event group.
- Keeping abreast of current Avian Influenza situation within Alaska, nationally, and in other countries which share migratory pathways.
- Coordinating closely with partners within FWS and in other agencies to ensure Avian Influenza response meets response objectives, safely.
- Implementing existing response plan and re-evaluate response objectives, if needed.
- Maintaining hotline and carcass collection log.
- Conducting carcass handling training.
- Coordinating hotline operators/schedules.
- Assisting with other migratory bird issues, as needed.
The Coordinator’s qualifications and skills should include:
The position is located in Anchorage, Alaska but Fairbanks is also possible. The position does not permit fully remote work but some remote work hours may potentially be negotiated. The position starts immediately, and ends on October 31, 2023.
- A Master’s degree in Biology, Wildlife Management, Natural Resource Management, Environmental Science or a related field
- Two (2) or more years of directly related work experience.
- Demonstrated experience in writing technical reports and policy papers.
- Experience implementing a collaborative science, response and/or research plan.
- Experience coordinating a team.
- Knowledge of, or ability to develop knowledge of, avian influenza viruses and risks.
- Demonstrated ability to explain complex scientific topics to a variety of audiences.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, attention to detail, and organization skills.
- Ability to work independently, and to meet appropriate project milestones.
- US citizenship and presence, and ability to comply with EO 14042.
The rate of pay is $36.78/hr and the position is eligible for the benefits described on the Integrated Statistics website.
Integrated Statistics is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Consistent with its obligations under federal law, Integrated Statistics is committed to taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, disabled individuals, special disabled veterans, veterans of the Vietnam era, and other eligible veterans. For assistance with accessibility of applications, posters, forms, and/or documents, please email the Integrated Statistics office.