Fisheries Biologist - PTNS Operations Lead Needed
Integrated Statistics is looking for a Fisheries Biologist to work as the Pre-Trip Notification System Operations Lead. This person will work with National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) Fisheries Sampling Branch (FSB) Northeast Fisheries Observer Program (NEFOP), At-Sea Monitoring Program (ASM), and Industry Funded Scallop Program (IFS).
FSB provides observer coverage, through NEFOP, ASM, and IFS, for several Northeast and Mid-Atlantic federal and state fisheries. The FSB trains and monitors the performance of fisheries observers while sampling onboard commercial fishing vessels from Maine to North Carolina, USA. The data that is collected by observers is tracked, edited, audited and uploaded to a master database by FSB staff. Data are provided to a variety of end-users and stakeholders for use in fisheries management decision making. The fisheries coverage is split between the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic areas.
To select trips across multiple fisheries and sampling frames, FSB utilizes a web-based tool, the Pre-Trip Notification System (PTNS). The PTNS is a dynamic, flexible and evolving system used by many user groups such as NOAA staff, industry, vessel owners/operators and observer service provider companies. PTNS interacts with several other database systems, requires constant maintenance and monitoring, and must be publically available 7 days a week, 24 hours a day.
The PTNS Operational Lead works closely and cooperatively with the FSB, PTNS Technical Team, and other staff to provide oversight, management, and monitoring of the PTNS system. Specific duties include:
- Serving as FSB’s PTNS expert in the planning, design, and implementation of new pre-notification requirements of commercial fisheries.
- Monitoring achieved monitoring coverage accomplishments and ensuring system adjustments as needed.
- Communicating with FSB Fishery Leads and other contracted staff on system performance, analytics, and operations.
- Overseeing and prioritizing system maintenance of the PTNS.
- Serving as primary FSB contact in troubleshooting system challenges.
- Overseeing system operators/users, prioritizing workload, and tracking improvements/update needs.
- Working with an after-hours answering service provider and functioning as Emergency After-hours Contact.
- Coordinating system testing as needed when new features are being developed.
- Developing and performing analytics as needed to monitor system performance.
- Providing regular status reports to FSB and PTNS project teams and NEFSC leadership.
- Creating and maintaining comprehensive project documentation and communication plans.
- Working with management and developers during critical production issues to provide performance related resolutions.
- Conducting public outreach as needed. Participating in outreach activities to hear from users for consideration of improvements by the PTNS Technical Team and help respond to questions.
- Master’s degree in a quantitative environmental science discipline (e.g., fisheries science, oceanography, wildlife biology, natural resource economics).
- Demonstrated experience in the application of statistical theory, including sampling design.
- Demonstrated experience in using statistical programming languages such as R, SAS, MatLab, etc.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Database programming experience with interacting with and extracting data from large relational databases (Oracle, MySQL, MS Access, etc.).
- Familiarity with fisheries science, management and monitoring concepts and implementation.
The position is full-time with a rate of pay of $25/hour. The position is eligible for the benefits described on the Integrated Statistics website.
- Demonstrated experience in successfully leading a team of professionals, providing strong leadership, direction, organization, guidance, decision making and conflict resolution.
- Experience using and developing electronic information systems.
- Project management experience, including the development of ability to coordinate and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously, develop and refine user requirements, monitor project progress, and deliver projects on time and within scope.
- Demonstrated experience with project management tools such as Agile, JIRA, etc.
- Demonstrated experience utilizing or designing complex analytics/information systems.
- Demonstrated experience with Oracle relational databases and ensuring the performance, security, integrity and operability of databases.
Integrated Statistics is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Consistent with its obligations under federal law, Integrated Statistics is committed to taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, disabled individuals, special disabled veterans, veterans of the Vietnam era, and other eligible veterans. For assistance with accessibility of applications, posters, forms, and/or documents, please email the Integrated Statistics office.