Boat Operator/Deckhand Needed
Integrated Statistics is looking for a a Boat Operator/Deckhand to work with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) Northeast Fisheries Science Center (NEFSC) in Milford, CT. This person will serve as deckhand and vessel operator on the 49-foot R/V Victor Loosanoff.
The main responsibilities include:
Sailing days will be normally 8 hour workdays, however some days could extend up to 12 hrs.
- Serving as deckhand aboard a 49-foot research vessel, operating during a variety of weather and sea conditions.
- Serving as a vessel operator on the R/V Victor Loosanoff.
- Operating and maintaining small boats for field work and dive operations.
- Assisting with the maintenance of the Loosanoff’s systems including but not limited to: cleaning, chipping, painting, plumbing, carpentry, and oil changes.
- Handling and manipulation (deployment and recovery) of oyster cages and other equipment on the back-deck of the vessel.
- Operating deck machinery, such as the windlass or winches, while alongside the pier or underway.
- Using and maintaining emergency, lifesaving, damage control, and safety equipment.
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills.
- Ability to do physical work in outdoor, indoor, and semi-enclosed spaces.
- Ability to bend, kneel, squat, climb, stand, reach, drive, and use fine and repetitive motor skills.
- Able to lift 50 pounds.
- 50 gross tons USCG Master License.
- Basic knowledge of how to maintain, repair and improve boat’s essential system.
- Engine room experience with diesel engines.
The position is full-time, with an expected duration of approximately six months. The rate of pay will be in the range $25-27/hr, commensurate with experience and qualifications. The position is eligible for the benefits described on the Integrated Statistics website.
- USCG-approved Basic Safety course.
- Radar observer.
- Research vessel experience.
- 100 gross tons USCG Master License.
Integrated Statistics is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Consistent with its obligations under federal law, Integrated Statistics is committed to taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, disabled individuals, special disabled veterans, veterans of the Vietnam era, and other eligible veterans. For assistance with accessibility of applications, posters, forms, and/or documents, please email the Integrated Statistics office.