Administrative/Budget Assistant Needed
Integrated Statistics is looking for an Administrative/Budget Assistant to work
in support of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
(NOAA) National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS). The person will assist
Northeast Fisheries Science Center (NEFSC) staff in the Budget and Finance Branch, which provides advice, support and guidance on a
broad array of budget, finance, procurement, property management, government purchase card, and grants management topics.
The key tasks for the Administrative/Budget Assistant include:
- Providing interdisciplinary expertise in administration and project management, business processes, and financial management.
- Assisting in monitoring financial performance such as fund transfers, status of obligations, and disbursements.
- Reconciling and correcting discrepancies in NMFS financial management systems following established protocols, and reviewing for accuracy.
- Performing a full range of administrative duties such as database entry, filing, electronic spreadsheet development, and tracking of financial and budgetary activities.
- Assisting in ensuring submitted budget plans agree with overall targets, creating funds variance analyses, assisting with year-end financial close-out processes, assisting with ad-hoc data calls (e.g. issuing, tracking, and responding).
- Assisting in preparing cost documentation reports, tracking, conducting reconciliations, and coordinating resulting actions as needed.
- Developing and recommending process improvements to the budget, tracking, and documentation processes.
- Assisting with other budget monitoring and execution responsibilities as needed.
- Reviewing and processing invoices for utility and service agreement accounts; fielding questions from vendors regarding status of accounts when applicable; corresponding with Finance Division to determine account standings; maintaining appropriate files and supporting documents.
- Tracking expenditures and providing monthly status of funds, using an internal Excel-based tracking tool.
- Assisting with developing and implementing administrative and budgetary tracking tools to support the sharing and communicating of data to internal and external clients.
The job is full-time, and is expected to last until March 2020. The rate of pay will be commensurate with experience and qualifications, and the position is eligible for the benefits described on the Integrated Statistics website.
- High school diploma/GED, and a minimum of five years of relevant work experience. In lieu of a high school diploma or satisfying the total experience requirement, relevant work experience, technical school, college courses, or other credentials may be substituted, based on depth, breadth and relevance.
- Demonstrated analytical thinking skills; ability to retrieve, organize and interpret data, assess situations, and provide recommendations.
- Ability to assist in the review of program budgets and expenditures, to conduct analysis on discrepancies between estimated and real spending, to adhere to budgetary rules and regulations, and to deliver accuracy in accounting and calculation.
- Familiarity with planning, budget execution, and financial management and operations. Knowledge of federal methodologies and systems is highly desirable.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and willingness to learn to use new software.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Ability to communicate and convey information clearly and concisely
to groups or individuals either verbally or in writing to ensure that
they understand the information and the message. Ability to listen and
respond appropriately to others.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, and ability to work independently if necessary.
Integrated Statistics is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Consistent with its obligations under federal law, Integrated Statistics is committed to taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, disabled individuals, special disabled veterans, veterans of the Vietnam era, and other eligible veterans. For assistance with accessibility of applications, posters, forms, and/or documents, please email the Integrated Statistics office.